Compliant Product Development Course
Let’s launch your brands and achieve your dreams...the compliant, safe, and Amazonian way!
Take a sneak peek at our course.
This will be fully available to you as an active Cascadia client.
Creating a Business Plan
Big Picture: I want to build a brand and sell it on Amazon!
Step by Step – I need to choose a product!
What we need to achieve is balance – always looking ahead and up, over the next hill, while taking care of the path directly in front of us.
The very first thing you need to think about is your business plan. Be thoughtful, be creative, be crazy – but you need to have one. Work with someone who is a complement to your working style – I deliberately seek out people who are good at details to help me fill in my gaps from being a big picture strategic thinker. However you do it, you need a business plan.
What is a business plan? At a high level, your business plan if you’re in this course is, “I want to develop a branded product to sell on Amazon.” Okay, good start! Now let’s think about the details.
Write a few sentences to answer each of these questions:
- What market do you want to serve? Why would your brand or product be different?
- What kind of investment can you make? What is your cash situation?
- Will you need a loan or raise capital from friends and family?
- Have you formed your business yet? LLC, incorporation, tax ID?
- What are you bringing to the table? A unique skillset? A unique idea or prototype? What makes you particularly well suited to take this leap and succeed?
Your statement is your argument as to why I should buy my product from you, what you stand for. If you know what you stand for, the rest comes.
In the coming modules and webinars, you will learn how to find products that fit into your brand story that are profitable; how to market them so that they have a clear and obvious value proposition; how to develop them so that they consistently are profitable and meet customer expectations, and how to grow and position your business in the Amazon marketplace.
Again, I’m good at the big picture – I like knowing where my goal is, miles ahead of where I am. For those of you who want more structure in your business plan, Entrepreneur.com has a good article to help you formulate your thoughts and ideas about how you can make this business work for you.
I can’t wait to hear what you come up with and talk with you about your ideas!
Welcome to the course!
Brand & Product Development
overviewDoing the research and selecting your product is a crucial part of the process. In this section of the course, you will receive the training needed to pick an item with the demand to generate sales and in a category that reduces your risk.
- Create a Step by Step guide to create a brand style guide and benchmarking document
- Learn how to do basic regulatory and safety research
- Learn how to do basic customer sentiment analysis
assignmentCreate a Brand Style Guide and Benchmark your product.
resourcesBrand Style Guide Development
Benchmarking: Research your Market
Benchmarking: Regulatory and Safety Research
Benchmarking: Evaluate Consumer Sentiment
From Concept to Source
overviewOnce you know what you want to make – where and how should you make it? We’ll go over the pros and cons with research starting points. We’ll look into why benchmarking can make you more profitable in the long run, and learn about the role and importance in packaging.
- Understand how to create a spec pack
- Understand how to set up a relationship with a broker and get your product classified (HTS)
- Choose, based on HTS classification and basic costs found in Global Sources for a variety of country locations, domestic versus import sourcing
assignmentCreate Product Specifications for your product and Supplier Evaluation Quotation Spreadsheet.
resourcesImport vs. Domestic Sourcing
Contracting a Factory & First Shipment
overviewComplicated compliance and legal requirements, oh my! This is the most dense part of the course, and the toughest to get through. We’ll deep dive into testing, factory audits, inspections and logistics. Things to consider: tariffs, safety and compliance, and samples.
- Understand what it takes to create an excellent testing protocol
- Understand how to create a clear agreement and PO
- Create a clear inspection checklist (students are provided with generic inspection checklist that needs to be modified
assignmentComplete your protocol, supplier agreement, PO, and inspection checklist.
resourcesComplete your Testing Protocol
Structure Supplier Agreement and PO
Freight and Logistics/US Customs
List & Promote Your Product
overviewIt’s not easy to create a high performing, excellent quality Amazon listing! We’ll go into product photography, listing guidance, how to use your benchmarking work to build a great detail page. We’ll start on Sponsored Ads.
- Determine the best packaging design for your product
- Create a clear photography request to your photographer
- Understand how to use the template to create a listing
assignmentDevelop packaging, photography request, and listing creation.
Photography and Design
Listing your Product
Post-Launch Product Management
overviewYay! You’ve launched! Now what do you do? We’ll go into instock management for ocean freight replenishment, options for warehouse storage in the US and 3-4 weeks cover at Amazon strategy, cashflow for 3-4 month turnaround on items, inspections, and long- term compliance program, and feedback/performance management.
- Understand how to write blurbs
- Understand how to write and use a re-stock spreadsheet and understand your timelines
- Understand how to investigate customer complaints, and take appropriate action
assignmentWrite customer responses, create in-stock spreadsheet, and create a Correction of Error template.
resourcesIntellectual Property and Seller Performance
Feedback Generation and Customer Experience
Ongoing Compliance Program
Enjoy these client perks.
Working with us, you don’t just get a pre-written course and have fun, see ya later – you get feedback on your work and progress from experts in the space who have launched private brands for some of the worlds largest retailers. When you submit your homework assignments, they’re routed to one of our expert Amazonians, and you’ll receive detailed comments and feedback on whether or not you’re moving in the right direction, and areas to improve.
faqs + updates
We’re constantly in the trenches with you as Amazon changes policies and interprets things in new ways, and during the implementation of new trade rules, regulatory enforcement and so on. In our FAQs page, you can get answers to questions asked by previous participants of the course, and submit your own for response and addition to the page. We’re all learning together, and can benefit from each others’ questions and concerns.
As much as possible, our course doesn’t just include words and images, but also includes video. If you’d like a demonstration and it doesn’t exist yet, please ask! Every learner has a different approach to solving problems, some focused on text and some focused on images, while others need to see it to understand. In a virtual world, that means video. We create custom content for our course participants to address questions and issues not already part of the course upon request.
Want to join us?
Discover how we can help make selling on Amazon successful for your business.